Sunday, June 17, 2012

Day 27: Independence Day Shaker

I know, I know, I'm still trying to catch up.  I'm getting there though!!

On day 27 I was supposed to make something inspired by a recent dream.  Usually I would have an extremely difficult time with this, but I had just happened to have the most perfect dream to fit this.

You see, I have to be the perfect teacher because I have this perfect teacher superpower that allows me to lesson plan in my sleep.

I'm serious. This isn't the first time this has happened.

So at camp, we have been collecting recyclable items to use for arts and crafts.  The camp director really wanted us to do something with milk jugs since his family goes through so much milk.  Being the arts and crafts coordinator (!), I said, "Sure, bring them in!".  So everyone started bringing in their empty milk jugs.  Months passed. Camp started. We had a room filled with milk jugs and still no ideas of what to do with them. "We could always build a milk jug igloo," I said, "But I don't know what we'll do with it."

Then I had a dream.  I had a dream that we used the milk jugs to make noise makers for the 4th of July.  It was perfect.  So I got to try it out for this project.

Since I hadn't recently finished a jug of milk, was impatient, and not willing to dump that sweet succulent liquid down the drain, I used a gallon jug of vinegar that we had just finished (the ultimate use was cleaning someone's pee off the carpet... not sure if it was the roommate's or the dog's yet).
I filled the jug with unpopped popcorn, but coins/rice/beads/etc could be used.  I then decorated it with red, white, and blue paper (making a flag), added a sign, added red white and blue paint dots with fabric paint, and tied on some ribbon for the finishing touches.





This is a great way to let students use their creativity and it would be interesting to just lay out the materials and see how they decorate their own shakers.

Ahhh, it's so refreshing to complete an original and pinterest-free project!!

Enjoy and make some noise!

Amy

Ps. Go back and check out my green accordion scrapbook from a few days ago!!! I finished it for father's day and updated the post!

No comments:

Post a Comment