Saturday, June 9, 2012

Day 19: I Spy Water Toy

The challenge of the day was to create something that floated on water.

I am actually very excited about what I came up with.

Inspired by the water toys for toddlers in Pink Pistachio's Blog, I created an I-Spy toy for older kids (ages 5-8).  The kids have to be able to read to participate in this activity individually.


To do this, I added 20 random things found around the house to a filled water bottle, threw in some glitter, super-glued the lid shut, and taped a list to the outside.

The object of the toy is for the children to spy all 20 items listed on the list.

It's an interesting way to discuss and predict whether and why some things float and some things sink, and a great way to keep kids busy for 10-20 minutes.

Some of the things I included in my bottle were: a penny, a nickel, a dime, a die, a game piece, a paper clip, a safety pin, a bobby pin, a push pin, a sewing pin, a crayon, etc.

The ironic thing about it all... I found the water bottle in my car (see yesterday's project).

I'm excited to try this out at camp and see how they like it!

Enjoy,


Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment