Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 6: Banoffee Pie

Today, I was supposed to make something out of the first fruit or vegetable I found in my kitchen. Well, I was very limited on fruit and vegetable resources (because I ate them all of course) and I was also limited on time (as usual).  I ALSO happened to be on the way to a friend's house for dinner. In order to kill a few birds with one stone, I stopped by the store and grabbed the first fruit I saw (bananas) and made something out of those.

That something was this:

Banoffee Pie from Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice


I realized after beginning the recipe that the one on the website is definitely the... difficult way of doing things.  I'm not the kind of person that has to do everything from scratch when I bake.  If they make it for me, I'll use it.  My classification of baking is somewhat loose.  I realized right away that the recipe called for me to make my own crust, so I bought a graham cracker crust instead.  It was when I was sitting there for 10 minutes holding a mixer to mix the heavy whipping cream into whipped cream that I realized it would have been much easier to just buy the frozen whipped topping and use that. Much tastier, too (mine turned out a little bland, it definitely needed vanilla).

I did make the caramel as per the instructions and ended up having a minor caramel catastrophe in the kitchen, and I'm SURE there's pre-made caramel you could buy that could make the process a TON easier.

SO, taking into account all of the short cuts you could take, here is a more simplified way you could bring this into the classroom for an easy recipe to make for life skills or a party:


EASY No-Bake Banoffee Pie:


Ingredients:

1 Graham Cracker Crust
1 tub frozen whipped topping, slightly thawed
4 - 5 bananas, firm
2 cups Caramel Sauce

Instructions:

1. Spread 1 cup caramel sauce on the bottom and the sides of the crust, refrigerate for 1/2 hour
2. Cut 4 bananas into thin slices
3. Fold the bananas into the whipped topping
4. Spoon the whipped topping into the pie crust
5. Drizzle the remaining caramel on top
6. Refrigerate 1/2 hour
7. Slice the remaining banana in larger slices and place on top in concentric circles right before serving.


YUMMY!!!

Because Logan (my boyfriend) doesn't like bananas OR caramel, I knew he would be upset if I made this delicious dessert for everyone and he didn't have anything to eat. So, being the wonderful person I am, I made him his very own DELICIOUS dessert... which you'll have to read about at my other blog, Too Many Crafts Too Little Time!

Enjoy!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment