Thursday, May 17, 2012

Day 3: Origami Heart Bookmark

Today, the challenge was to create something out of paper without drawing on it or cutting it.  Honestly, I was dreading this challenge.  In parentheses, it said that you didn't have to know origami to complete this.  I took that as an extra challenge NOT to do origami.

Over the course of the day, a few ideas came to mind of what I could do with paper without cutting or drawing on it that could be used in the classroom. I thought of the idea of ripping it into a name, but wasn't sure how that would align with any state learning goals.  Eventually, I succumbed to origami and thought about learning to make an origami star that I could give to students who were acting like a star.  I know that kids love origami and gifts from the teacher, but a quick browse over pinterest reminded me of an even better thing I could make using origami that would be PERFECT for the classroom:



 Although not an instructional activity, this would be a great activity for students to partake in during a 'brain break' and it is useful in the classroom, too! It's a little complicated, so it would probably be better for upper elementary school students.  It would also work as a good reward for younger kids, or a cute present to stick in their books.

Mine is now saving the place in my 365 book!

Ps. NO coloring or cutting for this one... I used scrap scrapbook paper and those fancy rips that involve your tongue.

1 comment:

  1. Amy, that's super cool! I've never seen anything like it before--- i'll have to make one.

    ReplyDelete